Tracking nano-bioprocesses using Super-Resolution Microscopy Techniques
Long-range research and innovation goal: The long-range goal of Nano-Supremi is to develop case studies to enable the advanced super-resolution microscopy to investigate nanoscale synthetic and biological structures and to probe nanoscale dynamic processes.
Long-range biomedical research and technology goal: The implementation of Nano-Supremi will allow for tracking nanometer-scale bioprocesses such as (i) nanomedicines cellular uptake and trafficking and (ii) single-molecule dynamic processes of DNA-protein, (iii) protein-membrane interactions.
Key Research Goals: The objective of Nano-Supremi is to turn the following creative research ideas into advanced microscopy technologies and services. This will ultimately results in the evaluation of in vitro protein and DNA activity and therapeutic efficacy of nanomedicines plugging the gap between innovative research and its exploitation in clinical setting.
Scientific impact: We identified a few innovative case studies to explore the potentiality of super resolution microscopy techniques in solving nanoscale bio-structures and dynamic processes.
Impact on early-stage researchers: Nano-Supremi involves key participation of junior researchers with outstanding record of achievements in education and research, providing strong support for the development of their careers.
Intersectoral dimension: A synergistic approach in using advanced technologies developed by microscope manufacturers to answer fundamental and applied questions on bioprocesses will be pursued.
Interdisciplinary dimension: A complementary research program, ranging from nanophotonics, materials science, to molecular biology and bio-analytical chemistry, will drive the implementation of research tasks towards the full achievement of the objectives.
- M. De Zotti, B. Muzzi, E. Gatto, B. Di Napoli, C. Mazzuca, A. Palleschi, E. Placidi, F.Formaggio, C. Toniolo, M. Venanzi. "Tuning the Morphology of Nanostructured Peptide Films by Introduction of a Secondary Structure Conformational Constraint: a Case-Study of Hierarchical Self-Assembly" J. Phys. Chem. B 2018, 122, 24, 6305-6313
- Alessandro Bertucci, Junling Guo, Nicolas Oppmann, Agata Glab, Francesco Ricci, Frank Caruso, and Francesca Cavalieri. Probing Transcription Factor Binding Activity and Downstream Gene Silencing in Living Cells with a DNA Nanoswitch. Nanoscale 2018. doi: 10.1039/c7nr07814e.
- Juliane N. B. D. Pelin, Emanuela Gatto, Mariano Venanzi, Francesca Cavalieri, Cristiano L. P. Oliveira, Herculano Martinho, Emerson R. Silva, Andrea M. Aguilar, Juliana S. Souza, Wendel A. Alves. Hybrid Conjugates Formed between Gold Nanoparticles and an Amyloidogenic Diphenylalanine Cysteine Peptide. doi.org/10.1002/slct.201801345
- W. Alves, J. Pelin, E. Gatto, M. Venanzi, F. Cavalieri,A. Aguilar, E. Silva, C. Oliveira, J. Souza, H. Martinho, Hybrid Conjugates Formed between Gold Nanoparticles and an Amyloidogenic Diphenylalanine-Cysteine Peptide Chemsitry Select. 2018, 24, 6756-6765
- Agata Glab†, Alessandro Bertucci‡, Fabiana Martino#Marcin Wojnilowicz†, Alessia Amodio‡, Francesco Ricci‡, Giancarlo Forte#, Frank Caruso*,†and Francesca Cavalieri*,†,‡. Quantitative microscopy study for monitoring the intracellular dynamics of a DNA nanoswitch and for real-time quantification of NF-kB in single live cells. To be Submitted.
- Marcin Wojnilowicz, Jana Bartonova, Kamila Bendickova, Federico Tidu, Giancarlo Forte, Frank Caruso, Francesca Cavalieri*, Jan Fric*. Verifying bio-interactions of glycogen-siRNA constructs with Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. To be Submitted.
- Stefania Pagliari, Vladimir Vinarsky, Fabiana Martino, Ana Rubina Perestrelo, Jan Vrbsky, Jorge Oliver De La Cruz, Guido Caluori, Petr Skladal, Vita Zampachova, Ota Hlinomaz, Sri Ganji Ranjani, Zbyněk Zdráhal, Gabriele Grassi, Alberto Rainer, Giancarlo Forte.YAP multiphasic activation delineates TEAD control over cell mechanics and iPSC cardiac differentiation. In revision.
- Fabiana Martino, Stefania Pagliari, Ana Rubina Perestrelo, Jorge Oliver De La Cruz, Francesca Cavalieri, Frank Caruso and Giancarlo Forte. Ernest is a mechanosensor involved in cardiac pathologies. In preparation.
- Federico Tidu , Frank Caruso and Jan Fric. Calcineurin and nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT) signalling control of mesenchymal stem cells phenotype. In preparation.